MEIGS HIGH SCHOOL
2020/2021 School Year Information
Dear Parents and Guardians of Meigs High School Students:
Meigs High School welcomes you to the 2020-2021 school year! As everyone knows, there have been many changes to our back-to-school plans this year due to COVID-19. One thing remains the same: our dedication to helping the students of Meigs High School achieve their goals!
I want to share the big changes that will affect all our students during this school year. These changes were made under the guidance of the Meigs County Health Department, the Ohio Department of Health, the Ohio Department of Education, Centers for Disease Control, and directives by Governor DeWine. Throughout our planning, our goal has been to ensure the safety of our students and staff while providing the students with high quality instruction.
Building and Classrooms:
· Students will always be required to wear a mask unless otherwise directed by a staff member. Failure to comply with safety regulations will result in a student being placed on the Full Remote Learning Model.
· Student desks will be organized to obtain as much social distancing as possible between students.
· Social distancing will be enforced in hallways during class changes and in lines for breakfast and lunch.
· Due to classroom size restrictions, students will not be permitted to complete schedule changes unless a special circumstance, determined by the administration, applies.
· Teachers will wear masks throughout the building and in the classrooms when 6 feet social distancing cannot be maintained.
· We have reduced the number of class periods in a day to allow for more instructional time in each class. This also helps to minimize movement throughout the building.
· All students will be given an electronic device for use in the classroom and at home during remote learning.
o Full Remote students will pick up their device at Meigs High School on Tuesday, September 1st between the hours of 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM.
o Blended students will receive their device from their classroom teacher. Parents will not be required to pick up devices for blended learners.
· We will make every effort to keep our classrooms as normal and engaging as possible while following health and safety recommendations and guidelines.
Remote Instruction for All students:
· Blended students will be responsible for completing assignments and assessments on Thursdays and Fridays.
· All Remote Learning assignments will be due by 11:59 PM every Sunday.
· Schoology is the online platform that teachers and students will use for online learning, announcements, and communication.
· Students will be expected to check Schoology for announcements and information on assignments, assessments, and resources daily. Parents/guardians are asked to assist their child(ren) with accessing online instruction. Blended students will be taught how to use the program during the first weeks of school. Remote students will be provided an instructional informational packet to guide you on how to log-in and access the instructional material.
· If your child needs assistance, please reach out to your child’s teacher.
· If you do not have access to the internet from your home, please notify your child’s school immediately.
· Parents/guardians should take their child’s temperature before bus pick-up. Your child must stay home if he/she has a temperature at 100.4 (or above) or has other COVID-related symptoms.
· All students PreK-12 are required to wear a mask at ALL times while on the bus.
· Students will be seated two per seat, with siblings when possible, and will be seated from back of the bus to the front based on the order of pick-up (first students on will be in the back). Exceptions can be made by the bus driver and the building principals if there is a student safety concern.
· Seating charts will be followed in every class, including lunch, to facilitate contact tracing.
· When students exit the buses to enter the building, they must wear their masks into and throughout the building.
Student Drop Offs and Student Drivers:
· Upon exiting their vehicles, student drivers and riders must immediately mask up and wear their masks into and throughout the building.
· Parents/guardians should remain in their car and drop students off in front of the building.
· Parental entry into the building will be permitted only if deemed essential by a building principal.
· Upon arrival, students will have a “grab and go” breakfast available to them and will then report directly to their first period class.
· All students will eat breakfast in their first period classrooms.
· Students will be socially distanced 6 feet apart while eating breakfast and lunch.
· Lunch will be served in the cafeteria, gym, and classrooms.
· Students will be assigned to eat lunch in the cafeteria, gym, or a classroom. They will be seated in assigned seating during that time to enhance safety protocols.
· Locations will be sanitized on a regular basis.
· Student drivers will be dismissed at 2:35 and should leave campus immediately unless involved in an extra- curricular activity.
· First wave bus riders will be dismissed at 2:35 and will go directly to their assigned bus.
· Second wave bus riders will remain in their seventh period classroom until dismissed to go directly to their assigned bus.
I hope this information helps to provide a better picture of what our school and classrooms will look and feel like this year. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to ensure a positive and productive learning environment for your child. We look forward to seeing our students on September 8th!
Principal, Meigs High School