Dear Class of 2020,
First, I want to express my deepest regrets with the current state of affairs in which we find ourselves. When I
welcomed you to Meigs High School as freshmen in the fall of 2016, I was very excited as we were both beginning a new chapter in our lives. You as high school students and me in my first year as your high school principal. During our first conversation together, I discussed the importance of earning a Meigs High School diploma and being able to "walk across the stage" as all of the graduates before you have done. In these unfortunate times we are unable to hold the traditional celebration as in years past. We will be holding a "virtual ceremony" and have built in the opportunity for you to cross the stage as a Meigs High School graduating senior. You should have been contacted by Mrs. Haggy or Mrs. Shipe to schedule your time. If you have not yet done so, please contact the MHS office at 740-992-2158 between 9:00-1:00 Monday through Friday. To help this process run as smooth and safe as possible, please see the items below:
- Caps and gowns are not to be altered in any way.
- Recommended attire for gold gowns: White or pastel colored clothing underneath, as darker colors will show through in the picture. Dress sandals/shoes are recommended.
- Recommended attire for maroon gowns: White dress shirt and tie, black dress pants and black dress shoes. If that is not possible, we recommend a shirt with a collar (button up or polo shirt) and dark pants and dark shoes.
- Arrive in the MHS faculty parking lot in the front of the building no later than ten minutes before your scheduled time. Please remain in your vehicle until your scheduled time.
- You and up to four family members will be directed into the building by a staff member.
- Upon entering the building, we will have a designated location for you to turn in your completed assignments, text books, library books, etc.
- After turning in your assignments, you will have your picture taken with your family and will be directed to awaiting area in the upper lobby by the gymnasium. (If you have not yet submitted a baby picture for the ceremony, Ms. Harris will be there to scan a copy of your baby picture at that time.)
- When it is your turn, you will be directed to the gymnasium to be filmed crossing the stage.
- After you have been filmed crossing the stage you will then immediately exit the building through the exit at the upper end of the gymnasium.
While this is not the celebration that we had expected when you began your education so many years ago, I hope that you can see that a great number of people are coming together to help make this a special occasion for you and your loved ones. Even though we have been apart, my thoughts have been with each of you and I look forward to all of the amazing things that you will accomplish in the future.
All the best,