Welcome to our Board of Education meeting! The Meigs Local School District Board of Education welcomes the comments, suggestions and concerns of District residents. Your attendance is encouraged, and your interest is appreciated. Please see the section below regarding “Citizen Participation” for information about speaking at meetings.
The Meigs Local Board of Education meets regularly on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month. Regular meetings are held in the Meigs Local School District Administrative Office, 41765 Pomeroy Pike, Pomeroy, OH 45769 Regular meetings start at 7:00 p.m. The board of education also holds 6 meetings throughout the year in special locations, twice at each school building. For a complete list of meeting date and times please see the scheduled meeting page.
In addition to regular meetings, special meetings are convened as needed.
Order of Business
Business at regular Board meetings typically occurs in the following order:
- Call to order
- Roll Call
- Communications – agenda topics/presentation/reports/public participation
- Approval of Minutes
- Treasurer’s Report
- Superintendent's Report
- Executive Session
The Meigs Local Board of Education, under Ohio law, may hold Executive Sessions during the meeting to discuss:
- Personnel matters
- Purchase or sale of property
- Pending litigation or court action
- Employee negotiations
- Matters to be kept confidential by state or federal statute
- Details of security arrangements
The Board of Education welcomes the opportunity to listen to the comments, suggestions and concerns of Meigs Local District residents. It is important to remember that the Board conducts its meetings in public, but the meetings are not public forums. The intent of meetings is to allow the Board to complete needed business. Most matters which fall under the jurisdiction of the Board may be addressed during the “Public Participation” section in the Order of Business.
- Public participation shall be permitted as indicated on the order of business in the bylaws of this Board.
- Participants must be recognized by the presiding officer and must preface their COMMENTS by an announcement of their name.
- The duration of each statement made by a participant may be limited by the Board.
- No participant may speak more than once on the same topic unless all others who wish to speak on that topic have been heard.
- All statements shall be directed to the presiding officer; no participant may address or question Board members individually.
- Interrupt, warn, or terminate a participant’s statement when the statement is too lengthy, personally directed, abusive, obscene, or irrelevant.
The Meigs Local Board of Education is the elected, governing and policy making body of the School District as determined by the laws of the State of Ohio; appoints a Superintendent and a Treasurer; acts on the Superintendent’s recommendations; approves annual budgets and appropriation measures; adopts annual calendars; levies, taxes approved by residents; and enters into contracts with District personnel as prescribed by Ohio Law.
The Meigs Local Superintendent of Schools serves as executive head of the system to carry out Board policies and directives; administers development and maintenance of educational programs and activities; initiates and acts on needed policy changes; recommends the proper personnel for the operation of the District, subject to Board approval; conducts continuous studies of the state of the District keeping the Board informed; and develops and maintains a sound educational program which emphasizes employee growth, high standards of academic achievement and a sound curriculum development pro- gram.
The Treasurer of the Meigs +Local School District serves as treasurer and chief fiscal officer; coordinates District finances with county and state fiscal officials; keeps accurate records of all monies; helps prepare annual appropriations and budgets; manages all accounting systems; pays the bills; coordinates financial data processing systems; prepares fiscal reports and informs the Board monthly regarding accounts and funds; and serves as secretary at board meetings, recording all official proceedings.
The Meigs Local School District is an equal opportunity employer.